The Green Township Fire Department got its start on May 27, 1947, with an impromptu meeting. The meeting was held in the basement of the Greendell Church with 35 members present. It was at that meeting that the attendees stated that the town needed a fire department.
The following meeting on June 6, 1947, the Green Township Fire Department was formed with 25 members signing up. The department was made up of many guys who were in the Civil Defense following World War II. The department’s first chief was Clarence Henry, who served in the position from 1947 to 1950. The department's first apparatus was a 1930's 12 cylinder Stutz fire engine that drove from the right side. The engine, and all fire department equipment was stored in Clarence' garage.
At the time, the Green Township, as well as Frelinghuysen and Allamuchy (neighboring towns that the fire department was also protecting) gave the department very little money to work with, so to raise money, the members would hold Roast Beef and Turkey dinners, as well as Clam Bakes. The department would even hold a small horse shows on the field where the current firehouse sits. The original fire house was built by Fred Martin and the firemen helped with the build. The firehouse was completed and opened in 1954.